Kyleena® can be inserted anytime during the cycle if the woman is not pregnant3†
- In women of fertile age, Kyleena® should be inserted within 7 days of the onset of menstruation
- When inserted within 7 days of the onset of menstruation, no back up contraception is needed
- When inserted more than 7 days since menstrual bleeding started, instruct your patient to use a barrier method of contraception or to abstain from vaginal intercourse for the next 7 days to prevent pregnancy
- Consider the possibility of ovulation and conception before using this product
- Kyleena® can be replaced by a new system at any time during the cycle
- Kyleena® can be inserted immediately after a first trimester abortion
- Insertions following second trimester abortion should be postponed for a minimum of 6 weeks or until the uterus is fully involutedǂ
- Postpartum insertions should be postponed until the uterus is fully involuted, and not earlier than 6 weeks after delivery§
ƚ if the healthcare professional can be reasonably certain that the woman is not pregnant, as defined by the World Health Organization.
ǂ If involution is delayed, wait until involution is complete before insertion.
§ If involution is substantially delayed, consider waiting until 12 weeks postpartum. In case of a difficult insertion and/or exceptional pain or bleeding during or after insertion, the possibility of perforation should be considered and appropriate steps should be taken, such as physical examination and ultrasound.