Kyleena® may work to prevent pregnancy in several ways including:
- Reducing the monthly thickening of the lining of the uterus
- Thickening the mucus in the cervix
(this makes it harder for sperm to pass through the cervix)
- Impairing sperm movement and function
Together, these actions prevent the sperm and egg from coming into contact and work together to prevent pregnancy.
Important aspects of Kyleena®:
- Releases a low amount of a hormone called levonorgestrel directly into the uterus every day (Kyleena® contains 19.5 mg of levonorgestrel)
- Does not contain any estrogen
Kyleena® is a long acting reversible contraceptive (LARC).
LARCs are highly effective in preventing pregnancy, can be used for a long period of time, and are easy to use.